Friday, September 21, 2007

A Shot In The Arm


We now interrupt the Saga of Dr. Combover to say...WOW.

Seriously, the people at Freedom Pharmacy are amazing. They have overnighted I-don't- know-how-many really expensive little vials to me over the last week or so, and per my clinic's instructions, more Gonal-f and the brand-new prescription for Menopur was supposed to arrive this morning.

I waited. And waited. I have never gotten a delivery later than 10:30, so when it got to be two PM, I began to panic and called the pharmacy. They reassured me that the shipment was in its way- evidently a FedEx plane had some technical difficulties. They gave me the tracking number and the FedEx toll-free line, and had FedEx flag the order with the driver as an urgent delivery.

It finally got here at around 3:30 PM.

So thank you, Freedom and FedEx!

I would also like to thank the nameless woman who donated her leftover meds to my doctor's office. I was panicking when they prescribed more drugs, to be taken that day, and I knew that the dregs in the Gonal-f syringe at home weren't even going to come close to what I needed. Nameless woman, you are a superhero, and I promise I will do the same thing if I ever have any leftover largesse.

Time has given me some perspective. I was so upset yesterday, because I planned ahead and my plans got changed. My cycle wasn't cancelled. I have three likely looking follicles. Hell, Righty even decided to toe the line and cough one up this month.

Is it going to be more difficult because things changed? You betcha. But as The Man said, "Anything worth working for is rarely easy." I may have responded with "Thanks, Yoda." Because that's how we roll.

But yeah, I can see his point. We've come a long way, and we have a long way to go. Now is not the time to freak out over trifles.

On another note....

Holy crap, those Menopur injections are scary. First of all, they switched things up on me at the RE's office, and I have to inject the Gonal-f and the Menopur into my upper arm. I had gotten really used to injecting into my belly, but the tech said that there's a better chance of getting serious absorption with the arm injection.

So I get my meds today, and I open the boxes, and HOLY CRAP!! I am not sure what gauge the needles are that come attached to the Menopur syringes. But compared to my happy little Gonal pens, they look two inches long and as big around as a pencil lead. Luckily, you switch to a finer gauge needle to actually inject the stuff, but I nearly had a heart attack just looking at those things.

OH! And I asked why my office prescribes the 300 IU syringes. I was right! You actually get more meds (because of the leftover meds in each syringe) than you do with the higher dosage pens...for the same cost. I estimate on this cycle, the leftovers made up about two full pens, which is around a $700 savings. Not too shabby. I figured it was too good a tip not to share.

How's everyone's week going? Anything fun planned for the weekend?

3 comments:

Christy said...

Aren't leftover meds such a blessing??!!?! My friend gave me about $1,000 worth of follistim to get me started. It's got to be even better to get them from a stranger. I'm so glad that you are still moving forward!

AwkwardMoments said...

wooo hoo for super hero lady! whoah thos needles sounds scary. Good luck to your new protocol. and hot damn righty joined the team

Katie said...

I'm glad that I am using the good ol' sub cus. Nice n' tiny. I am not looking forward to it. Hooray for your three eggs and hip hip hooray for righty!