Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Saga Of Dr. Combover (Part Two)

Anyone who wants to read The Saga (Part One) may do so here.

The surgery and recovery were really easy for me. Thank goodness! And there was that prevailing feeling that I was "fixed." The problem was taken care of!

Then I went back in for me follow-up, and well...I just wish they could have prepared me in some way.

I was informed that I didn't actually have a blocked tube. After going through all my adventures with Righty, I am guessing it was just orbiting Pluto on the day that I had my HSG, so the dye didn't pool like it was supposed to.

The surgery did serve a purpose- I had some "mild endometriosis" that they cleaned up. So, since the tube wasn't a problem, what did I want to do?

Then he started throwing facts and figures and percentages at me. Clomid, 8%, here's the cost, IUI, medicated, 25% chance, here's the cost....

At this point, I was pretty early in my infertility journey, and I hadn't researched any of this data. My hopes had just been dashed. I felt like he was trying to sell me a baby like it was a used car, if that makes any sense. I know now that any reasonable person would understand that this is a lot of info to take in and assimilate within five minutes, but he just wasn't bothering to take that into consideration.

Dr. Combover was looking at me like I was a specimen who was misbehaving in a culture dish, while he waited for me to come up with an answer and stop wasting his expensive time. I finally said that I would need to discuss my options with my husband and research everything on my own before jumping into a treatment plan, and he just shook his head at my with poorly-concealed irritation.

In reality, the way he was interacting with me was pissing me off so much, I vowed that I was going to find someone else to treat me. A phone call to Dr. Teddybear disabused me of that notion. Not only does he get great results, he's the only game in town. Crap.

In the meantime, I had already asked for a copy of my medical records from his office, and I made the mistake of reading them. When I got to the paragraph that included his comments about the copious amounts of fat in my abdominal region...well, that didn't make me feel more kindly disposed towards him. Especially since I had asked whether my weight was a factor, and he said it had nothing to do with anything.

So I have been continuing to go to the office, and haven't seen the man since...it's been two years. All my procedures have been done by nurses and techs, and (perhaps understandably)I have been OK with that.

Am I overreacting? I have spoken to another woman in town who has had dealings with him, and she desribed him as being a "cold fish." But is personality that important if I am just trying to get results?

I am trying to decide what the next step would be, and I am in the fortunate position to be close to both San Francisco and Los Angeles...so if I am willing to go through some additional inconvenience, my options could be increased exponentially if I decide to jump off the Dr. Combover ship.

1 comment:

AwkwardMoments said...

OHhh, I think you are in my town going to MY RE. You have just described my Dr/Patient/RE Office Relationship. HE isnt the ONLY one in town, I do have 1 other option. He is just the ONLY one i can afford. My RE's office is like a used car dealership, the other is a bentley dealership. SO YES i can relate to the used car statement. I wish you luck in your RE dr search.