Tuesday, September 4, 2007

And I did it to myself! Part Two

You can read about Part One here.

Fast forward a few months- My best friend and I get the invites done, do RSVP's, get the napkins and games and gifts together, you know the deal. Operation Baby Shower was now in full effect.

In the meantime, I had been prescribed my first-ever cycle of Clomid. I'd had another friend who had taken it, and got pregnant with twins on the first shot. I was totally unprepared for the hot flashes and mood swings that lingered on the horizon. (She didn't mention that part.)

We packed up and made the four-hour drive. We were going to stay overnight for two nights, then drive home early on Sunday morning. I had no idea that I was a ticking time bomb of The Crazy.

The first evening went fine, although our friend was in the final stages of pregnancy and was miserable about...well, everything. Although, If you still have morning sickness in your eighth month, I think you may be a little bit entitled. She kept joking that, "If he won't stop crying, I'll just leave him at the fire station."

OK, I could deal with that. It was a joke. Very funny!

Then her mother came from out of town the next morning, and she kept making the joke, and first-time Grandma freaked out every time she said it. In addition, we were helping to clean up and get things ready, and her mom was kind of making us all nuts. ("Doesn't it embarrass you that your friends have to clean your house for you?!" Arrrgh!)

Everything was fine. The guests showed up. I managed to discreetly sneak off at intervals and do some deep breathing whenever I got emotional. I was flushed and sweating thanks to the Clomid, but I held it together, at least publicly. We oohed and aahed over the baby gifts, and as soon as everyone left, I had a little private teary moment in the guest room, when I called The Man. I felt sick with jealousy, and I just wanted to come home.

When I cleaned myself up and emerged, it was still pretty early in the afternoon, and we were talking about going to see a movie. I was thrilled, because we were close to a large city, where they were pre-screening what looked like a really adorable movie, something you'd take your kids to go see. Nothing that could possibly upset me.

March of the Penguins!

To Be Continued...

1 comment:

AwkwardMoments said...

ah the ever lovely clomid hot flashes and mood swings of rage and sadness