Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ob la di, ob la da, life goes on....


I had a "throwaway day" today.

I seriously cannot tell you want I did. I got some stuff out of the way before noon, returned a few phone calls, and alternately read and slept the rest of the day away.

The Man got home, and we discussed what all of this is going to mean.

There's going to be a 14-month initiation period. The Man will be heading to SF on his days off for the first six months to train, then for the next 6 months as an employee. At the beginning of 2009, he will officially take over the business.

My agreement to moving was conditional. We will not be able to afford a place in the Bay Area, at least not right away, and I don't want to give up being a homeowner. A huge plus is that we will have a place to live, rent-free, as one of the perks of the job. So we are looking at "renting" the house to The Man's sister and her fiance, and discounting the rent in exchange for them taking care of the place, and maybe maintaining one of three bedrooms so we could stay here occasionally. The Man has to fulfill a few more years of military service as a weekender, so he will be in town one weekend a month.

It would also give us a chance to make sure we want to settle in the Bay Area before we take the big leap and buy property there.

Of course, my brain finally started working. I will be in San Francisco. Where there are plenty of doctors who are potentially not jerks like Dr. Combover. Where my sister lives, where there are practically acupuncture clinics on every corner, where I can walk down the street to get my groceries, where we can go out dancing every night if we want. Where any money I bank from my job can be devoted exclusively to travel or IF, as I see fit, depending on what happens.

I'm totally overwhelmed. I'm excited. And I am trying not to think about the drawbacks, of which there are several. Leaving my current employers is a big one. I love my job, and I want him to feel the same way about his. I am in the fortunate position to be able to do what I do just about anywhere. Living in a big city is going to make things more complicated, and I will have to get used to new people, but I think I can pull it off.

My favorite part of it is seeing The Man get so excited. He's been a military guy for 12 years now, and I think he loved it until we got married and he did that stint overseas and was so miserable the whole time. We have both been so afraid that he would get deployed again. I wanted to make sure he wasn't just taking this job as a way out.

When I questioned him, he said, "You know, I thought about it...I never went away to school, like you did. I've lived in this town since I can remember. I've been in my current job, with a few changes, since I was 18. It's time to switch things up. I have the opportunity to build a business, to be my own boss, to live in a big city. Why wouldn't I take it? "

When he puts it like that, the negatives seem very, very small.

6 comments:

~Carrie said...

Everyone needs throwaway days! I think one day a month should be mandated as 'throwaway day' where everyone can just hang out and de-stress.

First, a very belated sorry about your negative this month (sorry, I am so very behind in reading/commenting) From what I understand, IVF does have a good success rate with those of us in the 'we just can't figure out what's wrong' category. You certainly have a lot going on all at once! I hope everything goes well on all fronts. The move to SF does sound like it has a lot of positives.

Meghan said...

Love love love throwaway days. I just need to find away to not feel so guilty about taking them. It's so good for your mental health.

Sounds like you've got a good plan for the next few months, good luck with it!

Christy said...

It sounds like you really enjoyed your throwaway day. It's good to have those. The changes you are planning all sound wonderful. I wish much luck to both of you.

AwkwardMoments said...

sound slike The Man has really thought it out .. and sounds like you are the best supportive wife! Hang tough .. and right now my life is big giant episodes of throwaway days just to keep me breathing - everyone deserves them!

Mrs. Shoes said...

I am excited for you to move to SF! I lived there for two years and was so sad to move away. You will definitely have many more treatment choices. I will definitely be following your moving progress.

P.S.- If you ever need any restaurant recommendations for SF, just let me know. It's a foodie paradise.

Katie said...

I feel like I have been having a throwaway year, so a day isn't that bad!

And again, congratulations on the SF move. I think it's a wonderful adventure that the two of you are beginning together.