Sunday, December 9, 2007

Call screening



Hooray for tree decorating! I am slowly filling in the bare spots on our blue spruce.

These guys didn't make the cut for the top of the tree- they'll go down firther, where kitties have a habit of playing pinata with them.
______________

"Jen! Grab your phone!"

I was scrambling to get ready, because we wanted to catch the matinee for The Golden Compass. I heard the ringer getting louder, which means that The Man has nabbed my phone.

"It says private caller."

I grabbed my keys and sunglasses, and started struggling with my jacket while the ringing stops.

"It's gotta be your parents, do you want to call them back?"

"Sweetie, I just want to have a good day. I can't see them saying anything that I want to hear. Besides, we're running late."

We headed out to the car, and I hopped in, managing to balance all the crap tht I take with me.

He gave me a narrow look, because we both know that ignoring things isn't really the way to go.

I sighed, and picked up the phone and dialed.

"Hi Mom."

"Hey Jen! That was fast."

After a few seconds of inconsequential chitchat, she brought it up, again. She and Dad must have had another talk. The gist of what she said was that they were in a position to help us, and the 50% idea was in case they needed to help on more than one cycle. I explained that we only wanted to do one cycle. If that didn't work, we would need to either explore other avenues to becoming parents, or we would hopefully be in a position to take care of costs ourselves.

There was a pause. "I don't want you guys to limit yourselves because of money. I feel like we got our wires crossed. I thought I told you that Dad and I wanted a little more info before we could give you a definite answer."

I did the verbal equivalent of shrugging, and politely changed the subject.

Maybe at some point, we will get desperate enough to take them up on it. For now, however, it's just not worth it to me. I am glad she called and clarified matters, but I am going to acknowledge that this road is just not going to be easy, and I think I would rather be in debt to a bank than to my parents when I am thinking reasonably about it.

Anyway. The Golden Compass fell a little flat, after that. I had a hard time watching some of the scene, since a lot of them involved children being kidnapped. But the special effects were great. I added the series of books to my endless wishlist on Amazon.

3 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I am a proud follower of call screening! Praise be to Caller ID!!

If you havent heard of Eat, Pray, Love. I suggest that one as well. I am about 1/3 of hte way in .. and I am captivated. I am sorry the movie was not all the entertainment that it was supposed to be for you

Katie said...

I am that way with my mother, too. Talking to her can really ruin my day. She is a great mom, but she doesn't get IF at all. Somedays, I can take it, but there are days when I can't. Those days, I screen.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are okay with your decision which is the most important part of this....