Wednesday, August 29, 2012

All in all it's just- another shot in the gut.

Oh Cetritide! It burns us, my precious.

Just got back from my ultrasound.  Lefty came up with a 14, and Righty actually coughed up something: a teensy 7, but I will take it. I may have uttered a tiny "Gooo Righty!" when it popped up on the ultrasound monitor. Which, of course, everyone finds amusing.

So, now we are trying to decide what to do.  I just gave myself the burny Cetritide shot, so I will impede ovulation, and give the follies a few days to get their act together. Dr. Charming said he saw several smaller follicles as well, which may be noteworthy later, but didn't want to poke around any further. (Getting a peek at that follicle on Righty was stressful for all of us.) So right now, it's still all about that one follicle on the left.

We had a little chat, and my options are as follows.

A. Go ahead with this cycle, in the understanding that it's got to be "The Little Ovum That Could". Be prepared for many Highlander quotes. "There can be ONLY ONE!!!"

B. Quit. Cancel cycle, start over next month.

C. Pursue a Natural Cycle IVF approach. Get me off drugs, collect the egg or two I make on my own every month, and put them on ice (flash vitrification!) until we have a few of them.  Then do IVF. I asked about risk to egg quality, and he said it's about 10%.

D. Donor eggs. Still not ready to accept that one.

E. Killing spree. Wait to see how things look on Friday. If I have two viable follicles, go with option A. If I just have one, Option C.

Based on personal feelings and discussions with The Man, it's looking like E- "Some of the Above" is the answer, at least right now.  Actually, The Man REALLY likes Option C. Possibly because Dr. Charming used the words: "Flash vitrification is like Star Wars- you know, when Han Solo gets frozen in Carbonite?" I guess he knows his audience.

No comments: